How It Works
OUR MISSION IS TO RECOGNISE AND SUPER CONNECT THE WORLD’S BEST TECH FOR GOOD STARTUPS AND SCALEUPS
Empact Ventures and Hays have been working together since 2018
The focus of our work has been to connect tech startups and scale-ups together with corporates, SMEs, funders and the public sector to explore collaborations
We’ve co-designed 16 physical events in 9 cities and towns across the UK and 3 major virtual events
In January 2020, we co-designed the Hays Tech Startup report featuring Starling Bank, Cudo Ventures and Checkout.com as case studies
In September 2020, we co-founded and co-designed the Super Connect for Good Competition with Hays across the UK and Ireland. Later expanding into Europe in 2022
In March 2022 and 2023, we co-designed the Tech for Good report profiling the Top 100 Innovation Finalists from our 2022 and 2021 competition.
In 2023, we will launch the Super Connect for Good 2023 Global Competition covering the UK, Ireland, Europe, Australia and New Zealand and new for 2023 Asia.
Empact Ventures are global super connectors who co-design initiatives, scout for world-class innovation for larger organisations and funders and open the right doors at the right time for tech startups and scale-ups.
Hays is a leading global professional recruiting group, the experts at recruiting qualified, professional and skilled people worldwide, being the market leader in the UK and Asia Pacific and one of the market leaders in Continental Europe and Latin America.
Our 2023 Prizes are worth €200,000
Tech for Good Criteria
- Tech for Good is a responsible approach to technology to address social, environmental and economic challenges. In this context, technology is built in a collaborative, user-led way and implemented with ethical consideration to ensure the rights of the people are respected.
- Your company must demonstrate that you have created or aim to create a social impact and/or are enhancing people’s lives through technology. This can be in any area, including but not limited to education, healthcare, local communities, public sector services, the environment, or others.
Stage of Company for Regional & Innovation Judging
If you’d like to compete to be a Regional Winner, or an Innovation Vertical Winner, you must be able to categorise yourself in one of the following stages of maturity
- Pre-Seed Startups we’d expect you to have a working prototype, little to no funding, traction or exposure; initial seed capital between 0 – £/€75,000
- Tech Startup (Seed Stage) with a working Minimum Viable Product (MVP) or beta version, the initial founding team with initial seed capital between £/€75,000 – £/€500,000 and ideally though not essential some traction or initial revenue
- Tech Scale-up (Series A) – with a scalable product, solid team with Series A funding between £/€1m – £/€10m with a growing user base traction and solid revenue
- Tech Scale-up (Series B) – with a scalable product, solid team with Series A funding between £/€10m – £/€50m with a growing user base traction and solid revenue
Your company must be based in one of our 10 regions set out in the above tab and on your application form you should select the region of your legally registered office, not where you as the applicant is based
Your company may apply to one or more of the Innovation verticals set out in the above tab.
Additional Rules not mentioned above
- All applicants will strictly observe the rules and terms
- Entrants must not enter work that has been banned by any regulatory bodies in any country
- All applications must be in English
- If you do not complete all questions, we cannot guarantee your applications will be selected for our judging process
- Please answer all questions accurately as a true reflection of your business and please note that we conduct a strict due diligence process to ensure this is correct
- Should your company wish to withdraw its application, this must be done by 1st August 2023
If you have any more questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and see full terms and conditions HERE
Tech Startups and Scale-ups based in the following 10 Regions are eligible to apply to the competition
- France and BeNeLux: Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Belgium
- Southern Europe: Albania, Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Gibraltar, Greece, Italy, Malta, Montenegro, Portugal, San Marino, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain
- Central and Eastern Europe: Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Slovakia and Ukraine
- DACH & Nordics: Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Sweden, Austria, Germany, Lichtenstein, Monaco, Switzerland
- Celtic Regions: Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Wales and Scotland
- England – South West, Midlands, East, North West, North East
- England – London and South East
- Australia and New Zealand
- South and South-East Asia: India, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand
- East Asia: China and Japan and Hong Kong SAR
Your company may apply to one or more of the Innovation Verticals
- General Tech for Good
- AI for Good
- FinTech for Good
- New for 2023: Social / Inclusive Tech For Good: diversity, inclusion, community-focus, racial, gender, and sexual discrimination.
- Impact Challenge: This will welcome applicants to outline how their innovations can be adapted to support crises around the globe: This year’s focus is Water Crisis
- Impact Challenge: Mental Health and Wellbeing Challenge recognising individuals or companies that use tech to create, adapt or that already supports mental health and wellbeing
If you have any more questions, please email email@example.com
Super Connect for Good 2023 Competition
“We are delighted to have been chosen as the winners of Super Connect for Good 2021! It means a lot to have been chosen from amongst such high-quality companies. The whole competition has been a great experience. We’ve already had some really valuable “super connections” and look forward to more!”
Dr George Frodsham | Founder & CEO, 2021 OVERALL CHAMPION
The competition is only open to tech startups and scale-ups with a legally registered office in one of the countries listed in the above regions tab.
When submitting your application you tick the region where your company is legally registered and not where you as an individual are based in the world.
However, if your company is registered outside the UK, Ireland, Europe, Australia, New Zealand or Asia you can only apply if you have a legally registered subsidiary in the mentioned areas registered before 17th May 2023
The original deadline for submitting applications is 17th July 2023 at 11pm (UK Time). You can submit applications anytime before this deadline.
Existing Applicants: If you have already submitted an application and you would like to update it, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Location and which region they are applying for
Innovation vertical(s) you are applying for (if applicable)
General Company details
Pitch Deck (required)
Demonstrate how your product can benefit society
Revenue (if applicable)
If you are selected as one of our Top 100 Innovation applicants, it is essential that you attend to pitch and exhibit at our Top 100 Innovation Showcase on 5th October 2023.
If you are selected as one of our 10 Regional Winners, it is essential that you attend to pitch at our Virtual Final on 29th November 2023
If you have already submitted your application by or before the original deadline and you would like to update your answers or your pitch deck, please email email@example.com
Before submitting your application, we advise that you consider and review our optional Application Guidance below:
1. Example of a Successful Application: We’ve shared previous winners application with their permission to illustrate how a successful application looks from a triple award winner here
2. Pitch Deck Guidance & Template: We’ve put together this document to share our guidance on what slides to include in your deck and the information that could be present on each (Note: This is an optional resource) here
3. Join our Application Support Call: If you’d like to find out more about the competition or ask any questions to the Empact Ventures team, please sign up to book yourself into our next call hosted by our CEO, Kosta Mavroulakis.
1st June REGISTER HERE
14th June REGISTER HERE
12th July REGISTER HERE
If you have any more questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can apply please select you are Pre-Seed within the Innovation stream if and only if you have a working prototype with little to no funding, traction or exposure; initial seed capital between £/€0 -75,000)
Absolutely, we welcome all previous applicants, finalists and winners to apply again as there are both new opportunities to win with new innovation categories and different impact challenges create each year.
For example, QV Bioelectronics was our North of England Winner 2020, and returned in 2021 before winning the same region again and also being selected as the MedTech Winner
Empact Ventures are global Super Connectors who open the right doors at the right time to help the right people and organisations achieve the right mutual outcomes. We act as super-connectors for tech startups and scale-ups to open the right doors to potential partners, clients and/or funders to address their challenges.
Our mission is to create an Empact by mobilising local to global networks to help people and organisations to address their challenges leading to an aggregate social and/or economic impact. We bring people and organisations in the private, public and third sectors based on mutual interest in a facilitated way to create new collaborative partnerships.
We welcome anyone anywhere to get involved in our initiatives, projects and ventures to help us help you address your challenges today and tomorrow through our Super Connect Me process which works as follows:
- When you apply to one of our initiatives or register (and attend) our events you are required to register your business challenges (e.g. investment, marketing), collaborative outcomes of interest (e.g. pilots) and your innovation verticals.
- Based on this, we will facilitate warm email introductions to potential partners, clients or funders from our global partner network of 90+ organisations where you broadly match their eligibility criteria for connection as we only super connect both sides based on mutual need
- Our introductions are made up to 12 weeks after the initiative/event has taken and only to those that either apply to our competitions or attend events
- In some cases (e.g. with investors), we may need to share your information (e.g. pitch deck) for the connection to decide if they wish to be super connected
- We can also provide you with access (by email) to our 500+ past and present supporters, speakers and judges from our previous initiatives where they’ve opted-in to be super connected
There are also opportunities to connect with others in any of our virtual events through the Video Speed Networking and Digital Expo
For the Super Connect for Good competition, we provide all applicants with 5 super connections, all finalists with 7* super connections and all winners with 10 super connections* while any attendee that registers and joins the events
* This includes the 5 super connections for applying
To learn more about our approach read more in the ‘Rise of the Super Connectors’ piece in leading tech publication, Maddyness here
You can submit an application by filling in the relevant application form depending on your location by visiting this page here
Once the relevant stage is completed (e.g. announcement of the winners), we will facilitate a super connection to the relevant partner to organise your prize. It is the winner’s responsibility to ensure that they receive their prize from our partners. They may be obliged to follow additional criteria or provide extra information to the partner. This will need to be discussed with the partner.
Prizes will be issued between 1 – 12 months after winning. The timescale of using your prize is then at the discretion of the partner and if you do not claim the prize within this time period, it may be allocated to another finalist. Prizes are non-transferable and cannot be redeemed for monetary value. The value of the prize is final and binding and cannot be challenged or appealed.
Yes, you may apply to one or more Innovation Streams if your product falls into more than one of these areas
Please note: Only select General Tech For Good if you fit into 2 or more of the innovation streams or if none of the other innovation streams are applicable to your business. If this does not apply to you please don’t select general vertical.
In our 2023 competition, we have a specific Impact challenge. If you feel your technologies could be adapted to support the Wate Crisis or mental health and wellbeing in any way and you would like the opportunity to showcase this please select this option when applying